I am an active Wildlife photographer with a 25 year history, specializing in action Wildlife photography. I however also enjoy general Nature, Pictorial, Photo Journalism, Photo Travel and even Family photography! Most of my wildlife photography is done in Africa, specifically South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Kenya, Zambia and Tanzania but I have also spent a lot of time photographing in Alaska, Antarctica, South America, Australia and Europe.
My whole adult life I have been building and flying radio controlled model aircraft. However, retirement made it possible to build a two seater full scale aircraft as a two year project. I am now also almost finished with my Private Pilots License (PPL) which will offer new photographic opportunities.
- HonFPSSA : (Honorary Fellow of the Photographic Society of Southern Africa)
- MPSSA (Fellow of the Photographic Society of Southern Africa)
- FAPS: (Fellow of the Australian Photographic Society)
- EPSSA: (Expert Photographer of the Photographic Society of Southern Africa)
- EFIAP: [Expert of the European Photographic Society (FIAP)]
- ARPS: (Associate of the Royal Photographic Society
SPSA: (Associate equivalent = Silver of the Photographic Society of America)
- National Geographic Africa
- South African Getaway magazine
- SA Camera and Image
- SA Photo
- South African newspapers - The Star and Beeld
- Natures Best magazine (USA)
- Various French and German magazines
- Various calendars and desk pads
- Salon catalogues
- Other competition catalogues and publications
The South African TV network ‘Kyknet” has filmed a feature on Johan as wildlife photographer.
Other photographic achievements
2017: Two images selected by National Geographic Africa for publication in their 2017 YearbookTwo images plus a Cape Fox - Leopard series selected for the book Kgalagadi Self-drive, Routes, Roads and RatingsOne meerkat image selected by the London Natural History museum for their Digital Library. The same image was also selected by an international retail group for their merchandise
2016: Two images accepted by Natures Best magazine for publication and exhibition in the Iziko Museum in Cape TownTwo images accepted by National Geographic Africa for publication in their 2016 YearbookSixty Four Salon acceptances plus a Gold medal in the prestigous, International Trierenberg Super Circuit 2016 salon
2015: Natures Best Magazine (USA) accepted my “Roaring Lion” video for exhibition in the Smihsonian Museum in Washinton DCNatures Best Africa accepted two of my images for publication and for exhibition in the Iziko Museum in Cape Town
- 2014: The African Wildlife Foundation choose one of my Black Rhino images for their 2015 calendar
Natures Best Magazine (USA) accepted a suricate image for publication
- 2013: Natures Best Magazine photographic competition (with 26 000 entries) accepted one of my images for publication and display in the Smithsonian Museum. They furthermore selected my image as one of only 12 out of all the entries for their 2014 calendar that will be sold through the Smithsonian museums and Barnes & Knoble.
- Overall winner in 2009 of the Nature section of the Trierenberg Super Circuit salon with tens of thousands of entries and €40 000 of prize money
- Winner in 2007 of the Animal Behaviour section of the UK Natural History Museum Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition (40 000 entries)
- Winner in 2005 of one of the sections of one of the biggest Wildlife photographic competition in the USA (Natures Best Photographic Magazine with 14 000 entries)
- Overall Winner of the South African Getaway/Fujifilm Wildlife competition in 2004 giving him the title of “South African Wildlife Photographer of the Year”
- Eight images in the top 80 in the Getaway/Fujifilm Wildlife competition in 2004
- Two images in the top 80 in the Getaway/Fujifilm Wildlife competition in 2005 with one as first runner-up in the Action category
- Winner of the South African Agfa Wildlife mammal category in 2000
- Three images in the Agfa Wildlife top 50 and one Highly Commended in 2003
- Member of the South African team which competed in the FIAP World Cup International Nature competition in 2001
- Overall individual winner in FIAP World Cup International Nature competition in 2001
- Member of the South African team which competed in the FIAP Nature Biennal in both slides and print categories in 2003
- Won the PSSA Impala Trophy Print division with a second place in the Digital Division and a fourth place in the Slide section in 2005; first South African photographer ever to be in the top five of all three media (slides, prints and digital)
- Every year included under the top ten PSSA photographers according to the rating system of PSSA which is based on salon acceptances (Impala Trophy system) – last few years amongst the top five photographers
- PSSA Five Diamond rating in Pictorial and Nature slides
- More than 3000 national and international salon acceptances including tens of PSA, FIAP, PSSA medals and certificates
- Served as judge for many South African and International photographic competitions (salons) including the Qatari Al Thani Photographic Awards which offers the biggest prize money for a photographic competition (eg USD 30 000 for best overall image), the Austrian Super Circuit , the Wilmington (Delaware) International Photographic Exhibition in the USA and the Maitland International salon in Australia..
I am using mainly Nikon photographic equipment.